Monday, September 1, 2008

Crockpot Brown Sugar Chicken

I came across this recipe during one Menu Plan Monday tour, when it seemed like every eighth poster was serving it and singing its praises. As best I can tell it originates from Confessions of a Wacky SAHM. It's simple and delicious as is, but easy to flavor with your own personality if you choose to. DH is a big fan of spicy food, so we have added tabasco sauce or red pepper flake for some heat! I definitely recommend thickening the sauce with cornstarch once the chicken is done, it makes a divine glaze.


Crockpot Brown Sugar Chicken
3 or 4 large boneless, skinless chix breasts (could also use chicken parts)
1C brown sugar
2/3 C vinegar
1/4C sprite or 7-up
2-3T minced garlic
2T soy sauce
1 tsp pepper

Mix ingredients and pour over chicken in crock pot. Cook 6-8 hours on low. Thicken juice with a bit of cornstarch if you like. I serve with rice or noodles. I also double the recipe on the sauce - I like sauce, lol!!

Appx cost (using chicken thighs, which I have more often)
Chix thighs: $3.65 (4 servings)
Brown sugar $0.21
Vinegar $0.16
Lemon Lime soda $0.12
Minced garlic $0.09
Soy sauce, pepper - negligible

Grand Total: $4.23, or $1.05 per serving

No comments:

 
Photobucket