Sunday, August 31, 2008

7-Layer Casserole

Casseroles evoke memories of my mom. She was a purveyor of Pyrex, a connoiseur of Corningware. She loved anything that required only one dish to cook and serve in, mostly because she hated doing dishes. This recipe from Jen's Genuine Life would have tickled her pink.

I'm not sure if it's my oven, but the first time I tried this it definitely needed more moisture. I now add 1/4 cup of water with the carrots and potatoes, and I use either pre-cooked rice or instant rice. If you want something with more "sauce" to it, use 2 cans of tomato soup, adding the first one between the carrots and rice. See what works for you!

7-Layer Casserole

note: amount of ingredients depends on size of casserole dish
note: ground beef may be substituted for ground turkey below.

Ingredients:

Potaotes, sliced
Carrots, peeled and sliced
Frozen corn
3 tablespoons of rice
Onion, sliced
Ground turkey breast (season with salt and pepper to taste)
1 can condensed tomato soup



Preparation:

In a large casserole dish, layer the above ingredients
Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour or until turkey is thoroughly cooked and fork easily goes through to the bottom of the casserole.

Appx cost (I calcualted based on 4-5 servings)


Potatoes $1.20
Carrots $0.59
Corn $0.65
Onion $0.31
Ground Turkey $2.38
Tomato soup $0.75

Grand Total: $5.88, or $1.17 per serving

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for linking to me. I like the adjustments you made to the recipe. Have a great day!

 
Photobucket